Thursday, June 14, 2007

Bill McKibben


Over the past year, I have become aware of Bill McKibben. His name has appeared in magazine articles and was mentioned numerous times at a recent Caring for God's Creation conference. He was instrumental in this year's Step It Up 2007, a National Day of Climate Action on April 14th.

Bill currently lives in Ripton, Vermont and is a scholar in residence at Middlebury College. He is also a Sunday school teacher in the local Methodist church.




I just finished reading his first book, The End of Nature, written in 1989 . It was one of the first book to bring the topic of global warming to the general audience and is considered an environmental classic. The book was published after being serialized in the New Yorker magazine which was also the case with another classic, Rachel Carson's Silent Spring.







I have added his latest book, Deep Economy, to my summer reading list. It deals with need for a new economy based on strong local communities.


Listen to a Bill McKibben Interview.

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

OK, Ron -- good info. I have just finished reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. It has made a Myrtle Market shopper out of me. I am giving a copy to Bobby Anderson as he has a lot of food that he raises on the farm at his restaurant.

Cynthia